Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Task 3 - Decided to land

I've aborted task 3 after 20 minutes in the start cylinder. There are many contributing factors, but the bottom line is that it didn't make sense anymore to me. To be more specific:

  • The terrain is too high to my liking. We land our gliders at 1800 - 2500 m if we are in goal and possibly at 3000 m if we need to land out. Our gliders are not made for those thin air conditions. Many landings will be perfect, but I feel that if I continu to fly here, the chance for an accident is too high.
  • There had been talks about cancelling the results of task 2 after the double goal fiasco. So, what was I doing up there, competing while not being 100% OK with the safety situation and on top of that, the results risk being thrown away? (I fully support the organiser's extended goal cylinder solution, this is the solution which provides the most accurate results for the competition.)
  • I've got Rudy's very severe accident of 3 weeks ago in Belgium in my mind.
  • I'm not in a financial situation where, if I wreck my glider, I can just buy a new one.
  • What actually triggered the landing were two bad turbulences.

So, I'm taking it easy now. I'll just be a tourist for the next few days. And I won't forget the views of the volcano from 4500 m (with the business jet passing by on it's way to Toluca), or the view from straight above the town of Valle de Bravo with it's lake.

2 comments:

  1. Bonjour Jochen,
    Je pense que tu as raison de jouer la carte de la prudence.
    On a souvent plus de plaisir de voler fun que compétition........non ?


    Chr. Gerard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merci pour ta reaction. Non, moi j'ai souvent plus de plaisir des competes. Parce qu'on partage ce qu'on fait la.

    ReplyDelete