Monday, January 14, 2013

19th HG Worlds - Day 7 - Task 6

Safety issues yesterday. Loads of wind in the afternoon were predicted, yet a task was set and accepted. I told Zippy (task committee) I was concerned about it and he told me he was happy it was out of his hands. He was right about that.

During the first hour, the winds picked up from 15 km/h to 45 km/h. And the forecast was for way more wind, so I decided to land. Sure enough the task wasn't going to last much longer and I was nauseous anyway. To my surprise, it took another hour before the task was stopped. With that amount of wind, the others flew another 70 km, so I lost a lot of points yesterday. I'm pretty pissed that I didn't have the motivation to keep going, but very much also because I think that any reasonable thinking would have stopped the task way earlier.

I walked the glider to the edge of the field with my hands on the base bar. About the right time to land, I guess, how much longer do you have to wait? Quite a bit longer if you do not want to risk losing 500 points.

No comments:

Post a Comment